Animal Care Specialist
(Part Time / Full Time)
We’re looking for a great candidate to take on the position of Animal Care Specialist. This is a rare chance to work with animals every day, save thousands of lives, and help rehabilitate lost, injured, and abused animals. This position can be part-time or full-time for the right person and is responsible for providing direct care for shelter animals, from intake to adoption.
Animal care staff works closely with our Animal Care Lead and reports to the Executive Director. Compensation ranges from $10.00 -$14.00/hr depending on qualifications, plus separate on-call shift and animal pickup pay. Dogs and cats are fed and cared for from 7:00 am until noon and 1:00 pm until 6:00 pm, so scheduling availability within those times is necessary.
What You’ll Do Most Days
- Provide daily feeding and care to cats, dogs, and other animals in the shelter
- Maintain the safety and cleanliness of the animals and their environment
- Monitor and review the health of animals and report any concerns to medical staff
- Communicate with the public about specific animals and animal behavior
- Work alongside volunteers to help them learn and complete basic shelter activities
- Safely handle animals and their interactions with the public
- Assist with shelter maintenance, laundry, and cleaning activities
- Sort, stock, and monitor inventory and donations
- Help maintain animal records, medical paperwork, and other documents
- Assist with animal intake and adoptions
- Provide enrichment, interaction, and training to shelter animals
What You’ll Do On Some Days
- Periodically provide on-call animal control response and pickup after hours
- Provide assistance for the medical care of animals
- Answer phones and public questions about the animals or shelter activities
- Support HSJC fundraising activities and events
- Transport animals to medical appointments and adoption sites
- Safely handle and care for bite-risk and quarantine animals
- Other duties as assigned
Who We’re Looking For
You love animals and have a high school or college degree. You have some experience working with and caring for pets or animals, ideally in a shelter or veterinary setting. You have a valid drivers license and are able to drive our van or your vehicle to provide evening or weekend on-call pickups in our area when it’s your day for the on-call schedule. You’re not afraid to get some dirt on your hands and are willing to help others, but are also just as comfortable having a friendly conversation about a dog or cat. You can also follow directions, work hard, and pick up at least a big 50lb bag of dog food.
What It’s Like to Work Here
The Humane Society of Jefferson County is a medium size shelter with a big impact on our community. Each year we serve more than 1,000 animals of all types, from our local community and from high-kill areas around the country. By standards, we are a no-kill shelter that provides ongoing care to all adoptable animals for as long as needed.
Our staff is a small, dedicated team with a long history of animal and veterinary care. As a non-profit, team members wear many hats and help each other out with a wide range of tasks throughout the shelter. The one thing all of us have in common is a love of animals and a deep sense of satisfaction for every life we’re able to save.
In addition to compensation, the HSJC also provides a bunch of employee benefits including:
- Flexible work schedules
- Health insurance for full-time employees, Aflac eligibility for all employees
- Paid vacation and 7 paid holidays for full-time employees, bonus holiday pay for hourly staff
- Discounted bulk purchasing for animal supplies
- An animal-friendly workplace
- Employee education opportunities
- Workdays filled with happy animals!
How to Apply:
You can submit your application through an online portal, through email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mailing them to our office at: W6127 Kiesling Rd., Jefferson, WI 53549. Please include a letter of introduction and your resume/CV, detailing how you are the best fit for this position. Due to the high volume of calls we receive regarding animals, we ask that applicants do not call regarding open positions.
The Humane Society of Jefferson County provides equal opportunity in all matters of employment, promotion, training, compensation, benefits and working conditions to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, handicap, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other class protected by law.