Lost Your Pet?

Follow these steps as soon as you realize that your pet is missing:

  • Act fast! Don’t waste days hoping your pet will come home. The sooner you begin your search, the better the odds of finding him or her.
  • Contact local animal shelters, animal control agencies, and police departments. File a lost pet report with every shelter within a 60-mile radius of your home. If there is no shelter in your community, contact the local police department. Provide these agencies with an accurate description and a recent photograph of your pet.
  • Visit local animal shelters daily.
  • Put out an item that smells like your pet. Indoor pets can become disoriented when they get outdoors. Leaving out an item with your pet’s scent, such as a favorite bed or a litter box, can help a lost pet find their way back home.
  • Search the neighborhood. Walk or drive through your neighborhood several times each day.
  • Ask neighbors, mail carriers, and neighborhood children if they have seen your pet.
  • Advertise. Post notices at grocery stores, community centers, veterinary offices, groomers, dog parks, and other locations. Also, place advertisements in newspapers and with radio stations. Include your pet’s sex, age, weight, breed, color, and any special markings. When describing your pet, leave out one identifying characteristic and ask the person who finds your pet to describe it.
  • Don’t give up your search. Animals who have been lost for months and sometimes even years have been reunited with their owners.

Jefferson County Law Enforcement Agencies

The following phone numbers are non-emergency numbers for the various law enforcement agencies within Jefferson County.

  • Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office: (920) 674-7310
  • City of Jefferson Police Department: (920) 674-7707
  • City of Fort Atkinson Police Department: (920) 563-7777
  • City of Lake Mills Police Department: (920) 648-2354
  • City of Waterloo Police Department: (920) 478-2343
  • City of Watertown Police Department: (920) 261-6660
  • Village of Johnson Creek Police Department: (920) 699-2111
  • Village of Palmyra Police Department: (262) 495-8316

Other Shelters and Animal Control Agencies

Some municipalities within Jefferson County choose to contract with the agencies listed below to provide their stray animal services.

  • Watertown Humane Society
    Main number: (920) 261-1270
    After-hours number: (920) 258-0062
    Services the cities of Waterloo and Watertown and the townships of Concord, Ixonia, Milford, Waterloo, and Watertown
  • Township of Farmington Animal Control
    (920) 699-2143
  • Township of Koshkonong Animal Control
    (920) 723-0543
  • Village of Palmyra Animal Control (Police Dept.)
    (262) 495-2114
  • Village of Cambridge Animal Control (Police Dept.)
    (608) 423-4328
  • Lakeland Animal Shelter
    (262) 723-3899
    Services the city of Whitewater.

Useful Internet Resources

The internet can be a powerful tool in helping to quickly spread the word about your missing pet. The following sites allow owners to post their lost pet’s info for free. In addition, it is recommended that you share your animal’s information on your own social media accounts and in local community groups.